What is a Flexi Hose?
A flexi hose or “Ezy-Hooker” is a flexible gas connection used by plumbers to connect varying appliances. They are generally made with a rubber hose that is covered by a metallic braid.
Although they are approved for certain use in Australia i.e. gas cooktops, they are not approved for use with a Heat & Glo or Jetmaster fireplace. Due to the inner lining being made of a rubber material, this can heat up and dry out over time and potentially lead to a gas leak.
Restriction on use of Flexible gas connections
The Australian Gas Safety Regulations require certain actions to be taken when a potentially dangerous installation or non-compliant appliance is found.
With specific regards to flexible gas connections also known as Flexi hoses or Ezy-hookers, these are not fit for purpose when installed with certain heating appliances.
The Australian Gas Code – AS/NZ 5601.1:2013 outlines the following restrictions when using a flexible gas connection:
A hose assembly shall not pass –
- Through a wall, portable partition, ceiling or floor;
- Through the panel or casing of the appliance unless the appliance is specifically manufactured to avoid damage to the hose assembly.
A hose assembly shall not be installed where it will be:
- Exposed to a temperature exceeding the maximum temperature specified in the hose manufacturer’s instructions;
- Subject to damage by vermin
- Subject to strain, abrasion, kinking or permanent deformation;
For more information regarding flexi hoses feel free to give us a call or you may call Energy Safe Victoria directly on 03 9203 9700.